Monday, September 5, 2011

Thoughts and prayers for Dawson's family

This is too close to home. We see his family almost everyday: his uncle is our neighbor, his grandparents run the gas station we use very frequently, his other grandpa is a friend of Tony's, they live a couple blocks down from us, he was in basketball and T-ball with Aria this summer, just a few weeks ago, he was over at our house inviting Aria to come play with him and his older sisters, he rode his bike by our house often... we saw him alot. Just this last Friday as I dropped Aria off for the bus, he was there and later that day would read to Aria for a program where older kids come and read to the kindergartners. That was the last time we'd see him. Dawson died Saturday evening on a motorcycle ride with his dad. His dad is in the hospital; I have no idea how severe his injuries are. It's like a friend I was visiting with in church yesterday said, you just never think when you say goodbye to someone it might be the last time you see them. (Her family and Dawson's family were at a volleyball game all day Saturday in Sunburst and she remembers saying "see you later" to Dawson before they left.) It's literally a one moment they're here, the next they're gone situations and the reality is hard to grasp. Tony told Aria yesterday. I don't know if a kid her age understands fully what happened. I remember when another tragic death in our community occurred several years ago. When my sister was 8, the same age as Dawson, a classmate and friend, Courtney, died. Courtney's death was and still is hard to understand. I sat with Amanda during the funeral as mom or dad couldn't since my dad helped do the service and my mom sat with the family. They wanted a family member to sit with Courtney's classmates. Amanda couldn't understand why everyone was crying. She knew something was wrong and that Courtney was dead, but I don't think she actually understood that she'd never see Courtney again. None of us would. That is what is so sad about it. As I watched all the kids during basketball and T-ball, I remember thinking when I saw Dawson play that he'd be a good athlete in high school. He worked hard and had a natural ability it seemed to me. I was really sad for Jada, his mom. While it's very hard right now, Christmas will be hard for this family, next T-ball season will be hard for this family, birthdays and other family events/traditions will be hard for this family. As will the what-ifs and hypotheticals. The finality of death, esp. in a young child is an almost cruel reminder that life is fragile. Don't take anyone for granted. You never know if seeing them will be the last. It also reminds me that while death on earth is final, eternal life thru Jesus is for everyone and for those who believe, and it's so easy, we can mourn the passing of loved one, but know that we'll be reunited forever soon enough. My hope and prayer is that my loved ones and your loved ones know that if Jesus is your Saviour, we do not have to fear death. It's hard to understand and hard to cope with the reality of a loved one being gone. It's something no one wants to go thru, ever (even tho death is certain for everyone), but I personally take comfort in knowing that this life isn't it for me and for many others. Our hope, peace and comfort is in a loving God who is always there for us and has prepared an eternal home for those who love Him.

Keep Jada, Cory, Kayona, Abby, Duane, Darlene, Jerry, Butch, Lonna, Jeb, Jalena, and Jenny and their families in your prayers.