Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

There are some things in life that are taken for granted... well many things are. I think dad's can be. The marketing difference between mother's day and father's day is a great example of this to me. There are certain stereo-types as well; get your mom flowers, get your dad a hammer. Not that getting flowers is a bad thing. Even as a kid, I used to think that dad's kinda got the short end of the stick when it came to honoring them. There just seemed to be more put into recognizing mom's. Maybe it was a feminist thing or maybe it was just that women usually just get more attention because they can actually plan an event or make their wishes come to reality. So my sister and cousin and I always used to have a Father's Day treasure hunt, where we would find knick-knack items in West Yellowstone and hide them throughout the cabin grounds where our families would vacation together every other year. Now as kids, we thought we planned a great event. Perhaps as adults it would seem amateur and "childish". Sadly, I can't remember in too great of detail how these activities went, tho there was a time when we stowed away in our van to plan the event when my Dad and Aunt Ardele took off to West Yellowstone to buy a new coffee decanter and we hid for what seemed like hours too afraid to speak up. Yes, our families were worried! We did the treaure hunt for at least 3 years in a row I think. It was just our way to honor Dad. I am so blessed. I know everyone thinks their dad is the greatest. Well I know I have the greatest dad. We have alot in common when I think about it and the older I get, I see more of him in me. Our sense of humor, our opinions, our music tastes, our love of chocolate. Some of my best memories growing up involve my dad; hunting trips, watching football together after church,day trips with family, they way he laughed at some of my silly basketball mistakes, many winter afternoons sledding or just hanging out in his office. I still have people ask me how my dad is after him being gone from this area for almost 11 years! (they ask about my mom too) He is a likable guy that people trusted. Great qualities I strive to emulate. Plus his biblical knowledge and faith in the Lord I've always admired. It's very fun to watch him as a grampa, too! He's got it all, folks. I am also blessed to have married my best friend who is a wonderful dad as well. He dove right in after Aria was born, changing diapers, helping with dishes and laundry. His ability to raise a child is amazing to me. I am so glad I married a handsome, responsible, loving man who is the best father to my daughter; the light of our lives. Loving Happy Father's Day to the best men in my life and to yours as well!