Friday, June 26, 2009

Wacko Jacko and a potential conspiracy theory

I was visiting with Shosh, as usual, and she made a comment that cracked me up and I had to include it here. She is very perceptive and her sarcasm always gets me. We were discussing Michael Jackson and what he could've died from. I said I think it was drugs and she says, "... I know what killed Michael Jackson."
I'm waiting for a logical explanation and she deadpans, "Obama had him whacked."
I laughed for like 2 minutes.
"Think about it," she explains (unnecessarily to me, cuz I get it, but for those who don't), "Michael's media attention is taking all of it off of Obama's health care reform and cap and trade bills."
Then to make the matter more hilarious, she adds, "Plus Obama can say Michael Jackson could still be alive if we had socialized health care cuz he could've afforded it and everyone knows he was having financial trouble. And we all know his care would've been better.(insert eye rolling here)" There is a bit of truth to all humor, and she nailed it. I can take no credit for this comic gem. So there's your "conspiracy theory".

Seriously, I am a bit shocked on MJ's death. I wasn't a big fan. In fact, he was a freak show, but there is no denying his influence to the music industry. I did like his 1991 Dangerous album. The songs, Billy Jean, P.Y.T., and Remember the Time are ones of his I liked. A lot of songs there were covered by other bands I liked better than his version. Like Alien Ant Farm doing Smooth Criminal, and Floetry's Butterflies (they actually wrote the song for him and then did it on their own for their debut album.) And who didn't try to moonwalk? His dancing was revolutionary, as were his videos. Thriller, anyone? But anyone who passes away at 50 is shocking. To me, this is the biggest icon to pass away from my childhood that I can think of; at least that was an unexpected passing. I remember walking through music stores as a kid and it was Michael Jackson everywhere. Then he started morphing into this super freak and it was kinda like the fame and fortune got to him. I'll be interested to see how the media treats him after the autopsy results are shared. For now, it's fun to reminisce about some of his songs that remind me of certain times growing up and thankful I have those memories to share with family and friends.