Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Think ahead for others, please

When will courtesy, even in our own judicial system, exist? I do not mind, really, being selected for a jury pool. I know this is a civic duty and I'm pretty much fine with that. However, when I'm given a WEEK notice, I'm not as understanding. Some of us have to make work arrangements, daycare arrangements and all for perhaps not, as a lot of these trials end up being cancelled. Plus, when I do have to attend, I'm really not being compensated for money lost from not working my job. I think one gets what, $40 a day. Sorry, I make a bit more than that in a day. Aren't most trail dates set months in advance? Getting a weeks notice seems a bit ridiculous if that is the case. In my nursing job, there is me and one other nurse who work. And she works full time at the hospital on top of this job, so her availability to work for me at moments notice is pretty slim. What do I tell my patient if none of us can show up? It's just plain rude to have this kind of a heads up. If anyone who works in a court system somewhere is reading this, here's an FYI fer ya: Consider that the people in the jury pool have jobs, kids, responsibilities outside of what you're doing. Giving us 2, better yet, 3 or 4 weeks notice is MUCHLY appreciated!