Monday, January 18, 2010

What gives?!

So the one game I thought would be a blowout over the weekend was the closest game, the Cardinals played like they did during the regular season, the Cowgirls were suck-tastic (I love that little fact, tho)... the way some of these teams played, it's like they weren't aware they were 2 game away from a potential Super Bowl win! Now we have the Jets playing the Colts for AFC (how much is the Colts organization regretting that "let's throw the towel in on the season" 2 games before playoffs, allowing the Jets to sneak in as a wild card). The Saints and the Vikings are playing for the NFC championship.

Considering the history, or lack there of, of playoff experience for both the Vikes and the Saints, let's consider the personnel that are playing for these 2 teams. The Saints have been building a quality team since Sean Payton came on board as head coach. His apparent work ethic and leadership, esp. in a franchise that has never known what winning really was, really boosted the team to where they are today. The addition of Drew Brees as QB really cemented an already tough offense. Add Reggie Bush, Marques Colston, Jeremy Shockey, and a solid front line, you've got a great offense with lots of options. The defense, with names like Scott Fujita, Darren Sharper, Randall Gay, Roman Harper to name a few, you have experience and confidence.

The Vikings can match up very well here. The offense has many weapons: Adrian Peterson, Visanthe Shaincoe, Sidney Rice, even Chester Taylor. I won't mention someone wearing #4, as this team was this good last year, without that number, they just didn't know it. Defense has names like Jared Allen, Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Chad Greenway and they are tough! Oh, if only my Grandpa Del were alive to see how well the Vikes are doing this year! Well, I guess he knows... it'd be funny to hear him react to it, tho! There has been a lot of drama in Vikingland, due mostly to someone wearing a #4, and if we see a Viking loss, I have to wonder where #4 will journey next year. But, I'll have to comment on that on another time.

I hope for the sake of the game, that this is a barn burner! I want to see a close, hard fought game. This 24 to 3 nonsense will not do! These teams have lots of depth and experience on both sides of the ball. Come to play and play to win! They will be in New Orleans, which is to the Saints favor. I really think this will be the key to who wins: home field advantage. I also still believe Brett won't set foot in Miami for the Super Bowl as a player. Saints 24-Vikings 23.

Did I or did I not warn about the Colts playing the Jets again in the playoffs??!! And don't even get me started on how Brett played for the Jets last year and could play against them this year... I am not right about a lot of things, but I was right about this. It also seems to do something to team morale when your coach states "we are playing in the Super Bowl". The Jets have stumped me. They have not played this well all year! Guess you can see different sides of teams/players in playoffs. I believe, however, that the Colts will handle the Jets next week. I'm sure the Jets have a few tricks up their sleeves, but the Colts are just better, better, better. Enough said. Colts 16- Jets 10.

I would like to also mention how I don't like that the Pro Bowl is being played before the Super Bowl this year. The Pro Bowl to me is like a big collective sigh that a long hard season is over and let's enjoy ourselves. They moved it to avoid conflicts with other big press events and frankly who cares! I like moving it away from Honolulu exclusively, as now people who can't afford to fly there, now may have the opportunity to see their favorite players live. But play it once the season is over, so the high caliber stars who are playing in the Super Bowl can focus on that and not be distracted by a game just for funzies.