Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chester Centennial/July 4th

This past weekend was busy! The Chester Centennial/All School Reunion took place. I think between a classmates wedding the previous weekend and this weekend, I saw half of my graduating class. I have to say that while the numbers could've been a bit better, from my perspective the turn out was great. I visited with lots of old friends and took part in a few activities as well. Here's a rundown on what I learned from the weekend.
1) It's been 12 years since I graduated! There are times when I think, "gee, that wasn't too long ago... I could still go back." NO! It has been a while. Like I said, 12 years, people. I got a kick out of one of the fund raising events the Explore America kids were doing. They were raffling off a door that my art class had painted when I was a junior. I don't know who won that door, but when an item is being auctioned off that you did years ago and is no longer nostalgic to those who see/use it and is considered "in the way", you can not go back!
2) The pride/loyalty for my friends grows stronger every year. I took part in the community choir as my friend, Kris, had wrote a song for the event and was directing the choir as well. To see her in her element, to hear her talent and take part in it was a thrill for me! She is so talented! It was an honor to perform on her behalf. I also felt a welling of pride as the audience applauded her efforts at the end. Her twin brother, Kevin, has a show in the local art center and his stuff is amazing. I am proud to know these two artists and call them friends! I spent quality time with their entire family over the weekend (they're basically like my family anyway) and it was really a blast! Some other friends had just gotten married and I was so happy to see them and congratulate them. Others have families and are pursuing successful careers. It was so great to catch up with them and enjoy their company.
3) My family is also talented. I have received numerous compliments about Tony, Rick and Craig from their performance on Saturday. They sounded really good. They practiced really only a couple of times together before then, but it came off like they'd practiced for months! While I don't think they'd ever admit to it, they are a talented group and I'm sure this is not the last time they play for an event like this.
4) I still get nervous before I sing! Most of Saturday was occupied for me with choir rehearsal. Kris was trying to round up a couple of men to sing in a smaller ensemble for her piece we were doing that evening. Once she found them, we all went to Phil Aaberg's studio to practice. Other than Kris, I was the only girl there. The men she found are great singers. I felt less than adequate to be preforming with these individuals, but none the less, went for it. Considering we never practiced as a whole group, it came off all right. I will say that my knees are still trembling a bit from it tho! Kris gave me quite the esteem booster by asking me to join it, so thanks for her faith in me!
Gramma & Aria taking in some of the festivities.

Aria took this. A view of the action downtown.

Getting ready to play.

Tony, Rick, & Craig played an hour long set on Saturday for the Centennial.

I did't have my camera for most of the weekend, so I didn't get any pictures with friends.:( I didn't even make it to the class picture due to practice. If I do get any, tho, I'll be sure to put some up here.

To close the weekend, we did fireworks at our house. While the weather acted like it wouldn't allow for any outdoor activity, right at about 8 p.m., the winds died down the sun came out and it even warmed up a little. However, you will note we are wearing long sleeves and pants! ON JULY 4th! Where is global warming when you need it?! Oh, yeah... it WAS a hoax!
Tony and Aria prepping for some firework fun.

Uncle Dustin and Aria minutes before that glass bottle met its maker.

Spark in the Dark!