Thursday, December 31, 2009

Miller 2009 Year in Review

Well?! Every other news outlet, music channel, even the cartoon network is doing their own best of... so why can't I? I don't do Christmas letters. Well, I did, then thought I was so silly sounding in them that I spared you all and quit. I enjoy getting other people's letters, but when I start to proof read them, ugh! I embarrass myself! I write one every year, but it goes thru the shredder after one read-thru. Tony says I should start sending one, mostly cuz he had a patient who basically put it like this: if you can't keep in touch once a year, why bother. OK, point taken, maybe next year I'll give it another go. But for those of you lucky enough to read this (hehe), I'll review this past year, some good, some bad, just for funzies.
I'd like to start this off by stating that nothing is more important or means as much to me as my family. Without them: Dad, Mom, Manda, Paul, Marcia, Daniel, Rick, Debbie, Dustin, Kim, Craig, Heidi, Elaine, Charlene, Ginnie, Tony, and Aria, my life would be pretty empty and they all support me in ways that I could never begin to express or repay. I love you all!!

January: The start of 2009 and fairly quiet in the Miller household. Tony has begun the search for yet another sleep doctor in Havre to maintain their accredited status. Snow fall has been remarkable this month and I spent one day stranded at work, cuz the highway was shut down due to severe cold and blizzard conditions! (Thankfully, I was in good company!)

February: A sleep doctor has been found and with her comes the start of a new project for Tony: starting a sleep society organization in Montana.

March: A memorable month, but not in a good way. On Aria's 3rd birthday, we discovered a lump on her jaw that became probably our greatest challenge we've had in our lives. The big "C" word came up and we were on the path to ruling out cancer. An ultrasound a few week later found it was a vascularized tumor, but a biopsy would determine of what. The needle biopsy was preformed less than a week later and by the time the results were in the lump was nearly gone! The results were inconclusive, but 2 weeks after the biopsy was done, the lump was gone. Now as medical professional, Tony and I are aware of all possible outcomes, but this was difficult to face. I am convinced she was healed by God. So many people were praying and believing in a miracle. Perhaps a lesser person would say, "oh, it was never anything to worry about", but that person didn't see the ultrasound or feel the lump that was there. Perhaps it was nothing life threatening, but I know it was gone and it mystified the doctors. Usually when that happens, something bigger than what medical professionals can explain has occurred. It has never re-appeared and Aria is happy and healthy as ever. Several doctors visits, lots of blood draws, some imaging, and one surgery later, we made it thru... and did I mention that Aria cried only ONCE the entire time. She was a superb patient and I think to say she's a trooper would be a gross understatement.

April: The thankful conclusion to last months ordeal. Tony has begun building the website for the Montana Sleep Society. You can check it out at montanasleepsociety.org to see what it is all about. He and a few other sleep tech and doctors around the state of Montana started this organization to increase awareness of sleep medicine and a place for medical and non medical people to share ideas. Tony is serving on the Board of Directors in this organization, and also is the treasurer (I think) for the Respiratory Board of Montana, serving his second term on that. If you know some one who has or will graduate with a respiratory degree in Montana, it's Tony's signature you'll see on their certificate. I am so proud of all his accomplishment and his desire to be a well known/recognized individual in his field.

May: Tony's annual paddle fishing, boys-only, trip to the Breaks. This year, it was catch and release only when they got there, cuz the quota for fish caught had been met before they got there. But they caught all sorts of fish and had lots of great pictures to prove it! Tony loves this trip and looks forward to it every year.

June: A milestone was celebrated: our 10th wedding anniversary. We went to Bigfork (minus Pookie) to a quaint place called the Islander Inn. Highly recommended, by the way. We were right next to Flathead Lake and ate on a deck right on the shore every evening. This area in my new found heaven on earth! I love the beauty of western Montana. Early June is a great time to visit that area cuz tourism season is just starting to kick off, so it was easy to get around Glacier and the surrounding areas with not much crowds to contend with.
Mid-June also marked the Joplin Centennial Celebration and it was fun! I think I have pix and stuff posted from that event, so check back to see specifics. Tony, Rick and Craig were 1 of 3 entertainment acts for the evening and they were a hit. They were asked to perform for a wedding in October!

July: We took the boat out almost every weekend or if family was up to visit. A life long dream of mine was granted and we rode on Flathead Lake on another trip to Bigfork. Tony and Aria fished and I tried not to look at the depth monitor (300 feet deep in places!). A fun family weekend and Tony didn't seem to mind double-hauling the camper and boat too bad.

August: Aria and I broke in the "Cobama" (our new Cobalt we traded the suburban in with the cash for clunkers program, hence the cobama moniker) with a 2000+ mile trip to see my gramma in Idaho, friend Amy and family in Wyoming, and back to Billings to see the Hanson's. Paul and Daniel had both returned home from the war, and while I couldn't see Daniel, I did get to see Paul. They are both doing well, I am happy to report. Tony also went to West Yellowstone to hang out with his friend Jason and the Hughes family (becoming our adoptive family). This is becoming an annual event for him also.

September: Another milestone: I turned 30! It was actually pretty non-eventful, but I did get a few reminders I am getting older (black rose for starters). I actually don't mind getting older, cuz even tho my younger siblings think I am old, they will eventually get old too, I just will beat them to it! Actually, several family members turned 30 this year, as well as several of my friends! So to all my fellow 30 year milestone makers: at least we're in this together and we aren't 40 (yet)! Aria also has started going to a dance class once a week which she loves and is prepping for preschool...

October: Preschool starts. You know what? I didn't shed a tear! Mostly cuz that particular day was so busy anyways, but I figured I'd fall apart when I left her. For the time tho, I accept that she is growing too fast for my taste and her life will get busier and busier. It also helps that she just loves going. There was one day that I didn't take her cuz the weather was reporting freezing rain and she let me have it all day how I should've brought her to preschool! (we live 10 miles from where preschool is). It has become a bit more complicated with work and sitters getting Aria there 2 times a week, but that is where Debbie is a blessing. Well, she's a blessing all the time, but she is so helpful on days where I am at work and she gets Aria to and from preschool no problem! Tony, Rick and Craig also performed for a wedding mid-October.

November: Aria and I flew down to Georgia to see Marcia and Daniel. We also took in Disney World while there. So good and fun to see those 2, it just wasn't long enough! Lots of memories made on that trip for sure! Tony and Dustin both got the biggest bucks to date (the buck are currently residing at a taxidermy) and I hunted with Dad and Paul for a few days. Those hunting trips with Dad and Paul and I are some of my most greatest memories!

December: Possibly the biggest news yet! We will have a little NIECE late May, early June 2010. Marcia and Daniel are expecting a little girl! YAH!! Daniel is leaving for Korea January 7, for a year, but he'll hopefully be able to be home around the time baby girl arrives. Marcia is a strong, independent person, so I know she'll do great. She has several people around her to look out for her while Daniel is gone and we talk all the time! I hope I'll be able to get down there to see her and help when and where needed and meet my little niece! It's so fun to say that! So what sounds better: Auntie Annie? Aunt Annie? Auntie Nannie... we'll see.
Aria was in the church program and we had a fun Christmas home with the Millers.

So, a pretty eventful, blessed year. Hope that wasn't too painful to get thru!!